Thursday, August 16, 2007

Dentistry

Did you ever know how important saliva glands are? I just found out.

I went yesterday to the Dentist at VGH for them to go over my x-ray and do a checkup. Apparently during Radiation your teeth are more suseptable to cavities and won't heal property if you need any major work done and they want to make sure that nothing needs to be done right now. All in all he said my teeth look great and that I need to floss more often during my treatment to prevent cavitites.

On the down side.....they took saliva samples to measure how much saliva i produce when stimulated (chewing flavorless gum) or just sitting. After treatment they will do the same test to see if I am producing the same or less. They made moulds of my upper and lower teeth because during treatment the Radiation will be going through my large saliva glands and will most likely damage them. Basically I will have to use a liquid floride everyday with the moulds to replicate the vitamins and minerals normally produced by your saliva. I asked if I will have to do this for the rest of my life......yes was the answer. But really, I bet I will have the most healty teeth! You can never have enough floride! :) Stay positve right?

1 comment:

Rob Pollock said...

Hey Neighbor,
I saw your comment on the Crazy Sexy Cancer Blog and saw you were from Vancouver. I'm a cancer survivor from the West End.
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Stay positive and hopeful. Sounds like it is in the early stages so hopefully the radiation will clear it up.
I started a blog this summer too. You'll find me at www.rob-pollock.blogspot. Stop by and say Hello.
Good luck with your treatment.
Rob